2008-07-14

Credit Card Fraud

I was hit with credit card fraud a few weekends ago. For Canada Day I went to Kingston and when I got back, there was a message from the good people at President's Choice Mastercard, wanting to verify some recent transactions.

In January I had gone to Dallas for business and I received a similar call, so I thought it might have something to do with the gas we bought on the way to Kingston.

The conversation went something like this:

PCMC: Did you purchase a monthly GO pass on Thursday June 26?
Me: Yes, yes I did.
PCMC: Did you spend $1800 at a Best Buy in East York on June 27?
Me: Whaaa...?
PCMC: Then did you spend $1200 at a Best Buy in Richmond Hill on June 28?
Me: Huh?
PCMC: Also, did you purchase $170 worth of gas at an Esso station in Mississauga?
Me: ...
PCMC: And then another $50 at the same Esso station later that day?
Me:

So now the fraud department is looking into, and I was issued another card. The strange part - my wife and I still have our cards, so someone must have gotten the number and made copies of the card. Rather complicated scam.

No comments: