2008-06-16

Mark Steyn vs. Stupidity

Seriously - the case against Mr. Steyn brought by the Canadian Islamic Congress and being heard by the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal is enough to make one want to renounce his citizenship and live on a raft made of recycled Evian bottles, floating from one place to another, looking for the last outpost of sanity.

Still, Mr. Steyn is getting some good columns out of it, so it's not all that bad.

"Just for the record (and before it becomes chiselled in the granite of British Columbia "human rights" jurisprudence), I wasn't aware I was being rude to my accusers after the TVOntario show. The very last words on air were me saying, "You wanna go to dinner?", and Khurrum Awan yelling back "No!" But, as the host Steve Paikin and his producers reported at some length on their website, Khurrum and I and the two gals stuck around for an hour of relatively civil conversation. In fact, I got the impression one of the ladies was growing rather fond of me, which, to be honest, was the main reason I hung about. But, now I come to think of it, that was the way it went at high school. You figure you're doing great and then next morning you overhear her telling her best friend by the lockers that she thought you were a dweeby limpet with halitosis. Unfortunately, in today's fractious legal environment, if Khurrum Awan thinks you're a dweeby limpet with halitosis who can't dance and has dried sweat rings under his cheesecloth shirt, he can add it to the long list of actionable "human rights" grievances to be laid before multiple tribunals and commissions."

No comments: