2007-09-13

Veiled Brouhaha

Something I don't quite follow about the 'controversy' over women not showing their faces when they vote. It's the law, and the Elections Chief is just upholding it. What if it were the other way around? What if the Elections Chief took it upon himself to change the law and say not allow French-Canadians to vote? What would the outcry be like then?

The law, as I understand it, is that you need either a piece of photo ID, two pieces of non-photo ID, or someone who will vouch for you and sign an oath. Nothing in there about showing your face. If I vote and bring two pieces of non-photo ID, what does it matter if I am wearing my Spiderman Halloween mask? (Which I do vote in, by the way, just to make a political point.)

What about mail-in ballots? Would Muslim women have to lift their veil when they put the stamp on the envelope?

No comments: